This is a big one. After some feedback decided that the equation on platform is too much, so decided to remove them. Of course we could’t ignore that this was one of the core ideas of the game, so instead we will now have just one number to represent the platform’s weight. And to make it more intresting and let the player’s action acctually matter added triggers on each platfrom that can change the weight.
Bug found by one of the playtesters, some enemies have quite a fast attack and in some areas the walls had a very slim collider – result was obvious: player would pass through walls if pushed ferociously in that zone.
Altough the power up system started with a more complicated verion on paper. When tested in game, decided to drop on some layers of it and improve the readability which in term was due to color coding.
At the beginning of the week spend almost two days implementing an item system that can be used later and improved upon(since the power up system is still not set up). At the end of the week I noticed a few issues with it that are due to be fixed next week.
Playing with the idea to differentiate each shape the player can take lead to adding a specific attack for the pentagon shape. This was a result of the many tests conducted which seemed to point out that the pentagon shape was the least loved amongst.
It was a tough decision but I think is the right one. It seemed easier to create animations for the enemies with the animator but by doing it so the physics system gave way to some issues. It had to be fixed.
Postponed this until it finally turned into a problem. Because I had all enemy types connected every time I needed to change a feature or mechanic on a certain type of enemy, inevitably other enemies were affected by the change, which in turn, ment extra work. Now every enemy type has his own prefab and is clearer each time a change has to be made.
All right, so this pas week the struggle to focus kicked in. I mean, when you are well organized this should not be a problem, but we aren’t. And whenever I finally manage to implement a new feature, upon testing the functionality in action new ideas pop into my mind and it is so hard to focus. It usually happens that in the late hours of the evening I find myself working on some new idea that was NOT in the plan, and then as the day ends I can only say: again I drifted away…
Nevertheless, we did manage to do some things that were in the initial plan, and more than I wanted, are still pending. This is the reason I wanted to start writing this devlog, as to make myself follow the path I set up in the first place, or in other words to force myself stay on the right track.
Even though is still not final, managed to set up the hit animation for the player. Some frames are to be changed as soon as the sprites are ready, but even as it is we are quite happy with the result. As I was implementing this animation I went on to add a small hit animation for the enemies as well, the same, it is not final, but every step is a small progress.
As from the start I wanted to have two main resources: time and score, and since until now I was focused on score dependability, now I got into time as well. The player is gifted with the ability to recover time in order to complete the level, but he can do it only when he is close enough to a time collectible item.
As always, it happen that I had code taking care of the damage functionality scattered all around the place, and sometimes I would see that player or enemies would double hit. It took a while to figure out that I had a script(which remained from the early testing stage) on one of the enemies, and so the script was doubling the function.… time sink …
Of course having multiple levels requires a transition between them, but never seemed to find the right time to do it. Until now, since most of the mechanics are in place, it seems a good time to start adding content to test it out, and prepare a demo for better feedback.